About the SDS
The Sheehan Disability Scale (SDS) is a short, simple, and cost-effective measure of disability and functional impairment that can be quickly administered and scored without disrupting the flow of routine care. The SDS is a composite of three self-rated items designed to measure the extent to which three major domains in the patient’s life are functionally impaired by psychiatric or medical symptoms. The SDS assesses functional impairment in three major life domains: work, social life/leisure activities, and family life/home responsibilities. To improve sensitivity the SDS uses a discretized analog (Discan) scaling metric to simultaneously anchor the impairment spatio-visually, numerically and verbally-descriptively. The Sheehan Disability Scale was developed as a treatment outcome measure that would be sensitive to change and to drug placebo differences over time. Its validity and reliability has been investigated in several studies (references 1, 3, 4, and 5 in How to Cite the SDS below).
For any scientific questions relating to the SDS, contact David V Sheehan MD MBA directly by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
License Agreements for Use of the SDS
To license any version of the SDS for Use in a Study or for a Healthcare System:
- To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Research Study with Grants >$50,000 or for a Pharmaceutical Company – There is a charge of $1 per single administration (not per patient enrolled). The amount is payable in full before study initiation. (click here to download this license agreement)
- To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Research Study with Grants <$50,000 – The SDS is available free of charge to undergraduate and graduate students and for academic colleagues for educational use and for use in a small study with less than $50,000 funding as long as it is properly cited and proper copyright attribution is given on any study documents. (click here to download this license agreement)
- To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Healthcare System – There is a charge of $1 per single administration (not per patient). The amount is payable in full before use. (click here to download this license agreement)
- To License a Computerized / Electronic / Mobile or Tablet App Version for Use – contact email@example.com
Training for the SDS
For information about training on the SDS, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Translations and Linguistic Validation of the SDS
Mapi (http://www.mapigroup.com) is the official translation and linguistic validation service for all variants of the SDS.
MAPI Language Services is the exclusive coordinating center to ensure the production of consistent and conceptually equivalent translations of the SDS and to provide linguistic validation and certification of these translations and should be contacted directly for this purpose. MAPI Language Services may charge its own usual fees for this work.
MAPI Research Trust
27 Rue de la Villette
69003 Lyon France
tel: +33 (0)4 72 13 66 67
fax: +33 (0)4 72 13 66 68/ :+33 (0)4 72 13 69 50
How to Cite the SDS
Use the following citations in referencing the SDS:
- Sheehan KH; Sheehan DV. Assessing treatment effects in clinical trials with the discan metric of the Sheehan Disability Scale. International Clinical Psychopharmacology 2008;23(2):70-83. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/YIC.0b013e3282f2b4d6
- Sheehan DV, Harnett-Sheehan K, Raj BA (1996). The measurement of disability. Int Clin Psychopharmacol 11 (Suppl 3):89–95. PDF: http://journals.lww.com/intclinpsychopharm/Abstract/1996/06003/The_measurement_of_disability.15.aspx
- Leon AC, Shear MK, Portera L, et al: Assessing impairment in patients with panic disorder: the Sheehan Disability Scale. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 27:78–82, 1992. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/BF00788510
- Leon AC, Olfson M, Portera L, et al: Assessing impairment in primary care: a psychometric analysis of the Sheehan Disability Scale. Int J Psychiatry Med 27:93–105, 1997. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2190/T8EM-C8YH-373N-1UWD
- Olfson M, Kathol RG, Weissman MM, Sheehan DV, Leon AC, Hoven C. Mental Disorders and Disability in a Primary Care Group Practice. American Journal of Psychiatry. 1997; 154: 1734-1740. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1176/ajp.154.12.1734
- Sheehan DV, Harnett-Sheehan K. Psychometric Assessment of Anxiety Disorders. Chapter 8 in Anxiety: Psychobiological and Clinical Perspectives (Sartorius N, Andreoli V, Cassano G, Eisenberg L, Kielholz P, Pancheri P, & Racagni G, eds. Hemisphere Publishing Corporation, Washington, DC. 1990; 85-100. ISBN: 1560320648, 9781560320647.
Sheehan, D. V. (2000). Sheehan disability scale. Handbook of psychiatric measures, 113-115. ISBN: 0890424152, 9780890424155.
- Sheehan DV, Meyers AL, Prakash A, Robinson MJ, Swindle RW, Russell JM, et al. The relationship between functional outcomes and the treatment of anxious and painful somatic symptoms in patients with generalized anxiety disorder. Current Medical Research and Opinion. 2008; 24(9):2457-66. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1185/03007990802293643
- Sheehan, DV, Harnett-Sheehan, K, Spann, M, Thompson, H, Prakash, A. Assessing remission in major depressive disorder and generalized anxiety disorder clinical trials with the discan metric of the Sheehan disability scale. International clinical psychopharmacology. 2011;2: 75-83. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/YIC.0b013e328341bb5f
- Sheehan DV, Chokka PR, Granger RE, Walton RJ, Raskin J, Sagman D. Clinical and functional outcomes in patients with major depressive disorder and painful physical symptoms switched to treatment with duloxetine. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental. 2011;26(3):242-51. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/
- Mancini, M, Sheehan DV, Demyttenaere, K, Amore, M, Deberdt, W, Quail, D, Sagman, D. Evaluation of the effect of duloxetine treatment on functioning as measured by the Sheehan disability scale: pooled analysis of data from six randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical studies. International Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2012; 27(6): 298-309. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/YIC.0b013e3283589a3f
- Sheehan DV, Locklear J, Svedsäter H, Datto C. Long-term functioning and sleep quality in patients with major depressive disorder treated with extended-release quetiapine fumarate. International Clinical Psychopharmacology. 2012;27(5):239-48. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/YIC.0b013e328356ac78
- Sheehan, DV, Svedsäter, H, Locklear, JC, Eriksson. Effects of extended-release quetiapine fumarate on long-term functioning and sleep quality in patients with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD): Data from a randomized-withdrawal, placebo-controlled maintenance study. Journal of Affective Disorders. 2013; 151(3): 906-913. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jad.2013.07.037