About the HIAS
The Homicidal Impulse Attack Scale (HIAS) assesses the components of a homicidal impulse attack. These components are the:
- need or impulse for the patients to kill someone sooner rather than later
- need or impulse for the patients to plan to kill someone sooner rather than later
- patients’ thoughts about killing someone or that they would be better off dead
- associated physical symptoms
Clinical and Research Use
The HIAS is specifically designed for use as a very brief measure of components within a homicidal impulse attack. Because the homicidal impulse attack events are relatively brief compared to chronic homicidality, an instrument is needed to quickly measure these events over very short periods of time in anti-homicidality impulse attack treatments.
The primary application of the HIAS is most likely to be in Impulse Attack Homicidality Disorder (IAHD). However, it may have value in the acute tracking of other homicidality disorders. It allows a clinician to determine if a patient with IAHD is responding to treatment.
Emergency room or crisis center staff can use the HIAS frequently (every 15 minutes or hour) to monitor the homicidality severity.
For any scientific questions relating to the HIAS, contact Ivan Sascha Sheehan PhD directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or David V Sheehan MD MBA at email@example.com or Jennifer M Giddens at firstname.lastname@example.org
License Agreements for Use of the HIAS
To license the HIAS for Use in a Study or for a Healthcare System:
- To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Research Study with Grants >$50,000 or for a Pharmaceutical Company – There is a charge of $1 per single administration (not per patient enrolled). The amount is payable in full before study initiation. (click here to download this license agreement)
- To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Research Study with Grants <$50,000 – The HIAS is available free of charge to undergraduate and graduate students and for academic colleagues for educational use and for use in a small study with less than $50,000 funding as long as it is properly cited and proper copyright attribution is given on any study documents. (click here to download this license agreement)
- To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Healthcare System – There is a charge of $1 per single administration (not per patient). The amount is payable in full before use. (click here to download this license agreement)
- To License a Computerized / Electronic / Mobile or Tablet App Version for Use – contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Training for the HIAS
Translations and Linguistic Validation of the HIAS
Mapi (http://www.mapigroup.com) is the official translation and linguistic validation service for all variants of the HIAS.
MAPI Language Services is the exclusive coordinating center to ensure the production of consistent and conceptually equivalent translations of the HIAS and to provide linguistic validation and certification of these translations and should be contacted directly for this purpose. MAPI Language Services may charge its own usual fees for this work.
MAPI Research Trust
27 Rue de la Villette
69003 Lyon France
tel: +33 (0)4 72 13 66 67
fax: +33 (0)4 72 13 66 68/ :+33 (0)4 72 13 69 50
How to Cite the HIAS
Use the following citation in referencing the HIAS:
- Sheehan DV, and Giddens JM. Harm Research Institute. Homicidal Impulse Attack Scale (HIAS). Retrieved January 7th, 2017 from: http://harmresearch.org/index.php/homicidality/homicida-impulse-attack-scale-hias/