The Homicide Plan Tracking Scale (HPTS) is an 8-page scale. Page 1 contains directions for patients. Pages 2 through 7 of the HPTS contains 37 questions which covers 7 domains of homicide planning:
• homicide method
• homicide means
• homicide location
• homicide date / timeframe
• people involved
• homicidal intent
• incomplete preparations
Page 9 is a scoring page for the clinician.
We recommend the use of a systematic, structured approach to elicit information on homicide planning and to track these details over time. It can be rated in 3 ways: 1. patient-rated; 2. clinician-rated; or 3. patient-rated followed by a blind clinician-rating, followed by a reconciliation of these ratings in a joint interview. The HPTS is designed for use in clinical research studies and in clinical settings.
For any scientific questions relating to the HPTS, contact Jennifer M. Giddens directly by email at: email@example.com
License Agreements for Use of the HPTS
To license the HPTS for Use in a Study or for a Healthcare System:
• To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Research Study with Grants ≥$50,000 or for a Pharmaceutical Company – There is a charge of $2 per single administration (not per patient enrolled). The amount is payable in full before study initiation. (click here to download this license agreement)
• To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Research Study with Grants <$50,000 – The HPTS is available free of charge to undergraduate and graduate students and for academic colleagues for educational use and for use in a small study with less than $50,000 funding as long as it is properly cited and proper copyright attribution is given on any study documents. (click here to download this license agreement)
• To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Healthcare System – There is a charge of $2 per single administration (not per patient). The amount is payable in full before use. (click here to download this license agreement)
• To License a Computerized / Electronic / Mobile or Tablet App Version for Use – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Training Slides (coming soon)
Sheehan & Giddens Mapping Tables Scoring Forms (coming soon)
Training for the HPTS
For information about training on the HPTS, please contact: email@example.com
Translations and Linguistic Validation of the HPTS
Mapi (http://www.mapigroup.com) is the official translation and linguistic validation service for all variants of the HPTS.
MAPI Language Services is the exclusive coordinating center to ensure the production of consistent and conceptually equivalent translations of the HPTS and to provide linguistic validation and certification of these translations and should be contacted directly for this purpose. MAPI Language Services may charge its own usual fees for this work.
MAPI Research Trust
27 Rue de la Villette
69003 Lyon France
tel: +33 (0)4 72 13 66 67
fax: +33 (0)4 72 13 66 68 / +33 (0)4 72 13 69 50
How to Cite the HPTS
Use the following citation in referencing the HPTS:
1. Sheehan DV, and Giddens JM. Harm Research Institute. Homicide Plan Tracking Scale (HPTS). Retrieved January 7th, 2017 from: http://harmresearch.org/index.php/homicidality/homicide-plan-tracking-scale-hpts/