About the SIAS
The Suicidal Impulse Attack Scale (SIAS) assesses the components of a suicidal impulse attack. These components are the:
- need or impulse for the patients to kill oneself sooner rather than later
- need or impulse for the patients to plan to kill oneself sooner rather than later
- patients’ thoughts about killing oneself or of being better off dead
- associated physical symptoms
Clinical and Research Use
The SIAS is specifically designed for use as a very brief measure of components within a suicidal impulse attack. Because the suicidal impulse attack events are relatively brief compared to chronic suicidality, an instrument is needed to quickly measure these events over very short periods of time in anti-suicidality impulse attack treatments.
The primary application of the SIAS is most likely to be in Impulse Attack Suicidality Disorder (IASD). However, it may have value in the acute tracking of other suicidality disorders. It allows a clinician to determine if a patient with IASD is responding to treatment.
Emergency room or crisis center staff can use the SIAS frequently (every 15 minutes or hour) to monitor the suicidality severity.
For any scientific questions relating to the SIAS, contact David V Sheehan MD MBA directly by email at email@example.com or contact Jennifer M Giddens directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
License Agreements for Use of the SIAS
To license the SIAS for Use in a Study or for a Healthcare System:
- To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Research Study with Grants ≥$50,000 or for a Pharmaceutical Company – There is a charge of $1 per single administration (not per patient enrolled). The amount is payable in full before study initiation. (click here to download this license agreement)
- To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Research Study with Grants <$50,000 – The SIAS is available free of charge to undergraduate and graduate students and for academic colleagues for educational use and for use in a small study with less than $50,000 funding as long as it is properly cited and proper copyright attribution is given on any study documents. (click here to download this license agreement)
- To License the Paper / PDF Version for Use in a Healthcare System – There is a charge of $1 per single administration (not per patient). The amount is payable in full before use. (click here to download this license agreement)
- To License a Computerized / Electronic / Mobile or Tablet App Version for Use – contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Training for the SIAS
Translations and Linguistic Validation of the SIAS
Mapi (http://www.mapigroup.com) is the official translation and linguistic validation service for all variants of the SIAS.
MAPI Language Services is the exclusive coordinating center to ensure the production of consistent and conceptually equivalent translations of the SIAS and to provide linguistic validation and certification of these translations and should be contacted directly for this purpose. MAPI Language Services may charge its own usual fees for this work.
MAPI Research Trust
27 Rue de la Villette
69003 Lyon France
tel: +33 (0)4 72 13 66 67
fax: +33 (0)4 72 13 66 68/ :+33 (0)4 72 13 69 50
How to Cite the SIAS
Use the following citations in referencing the SIAS:
- Sheehan DV, Giddens JM. (2015). Suicidality: A Roadmap for Assessment and Treatment. (1st ed.). Tampa, FL: Harm Research Press. Nov. 2015 (Available from: http://HarmResearch.org) ISBN: 978-0-9969729-0-1
- Sheehan DV, Giddens JM. (2016). Suicidality Assessment and Documentation for Healthcare Providers: A Brief, Practical Guide. (1st ed.). Tampa, FL: Harm Research Press. April 2016. (Available from: http://HarmResearch.org) ISBN: 978-0-9969729-1-8